Arlington County suffers data breach after intrusion into its payroll system
- Arlington County Department of Technology Services and the Arlington County Police Department launched a review and determined a phishing attack to be the reason behind the intrusion.
- The review revealed that only employee data has been compromised and no residents' data were involved.
Arlington County suffered a data breach compromising the personal data of its employees after an unauthorized party gained access to the County’s payroll systems.
What’s the matter?
The intrusion is believed to be the result of individual employees being targeted through a phishing email. Upon discovery, Arlington County Department of Technology Services and the Arlington County Police Department launched a review and determined a potential phishing attack to be the reason behind the intrusion.
The County identified all the impacted employees and notified them about the incident. However, the County did not reveal the exact number of employees impacted in the incident.
What actions are being taken?
- Arlington County has implemented enhanced cybersecurity features to protect email and other critical computing systems.
- The County is providing training and cyber safety tips to all employees on how to identify phishing emails.
- The Arlington County Police Department is continuing to investigate the incident.
“As part of our education and crime prevention efforts, Arlington County is sharing cyber safety tips and reminding employees and the public not to open any emails from individuals they are unfamiliar with and to not click on links contained with any emails without first verifying their content,” Arlington County said in a press release, ARLnow reported.