DDoS Attacks Not Just Blooming But Changing Their Pattern As Well

During the COVID-19 epidemic, working from home and online shopping has become a new normal of daily life, and several hackers have been attempting to disrupt this trend via a surge in DDoS attacks.


DDoS attacks exploring new ways

The DDoS attacks are not just increasing in size, but in complexity as well. Attackers are now increasingly exploiting open resolvers like (DNS, DLAP, etc.) to produce a small-sized and short period of attack.
  • According to the recent NexuGuard report, around 67.12% of the attacks were under the size range of 1Gbps and 5Gbps. These small attacks, which corresponds to less than 15 minutes, have been termed as “invisible killer” attacks, and create 200 or lesser events per day.
  • Attackers have been using the sophisticated bits-and-pieces attacks, accumulated from a large pool of source IPs, that clogs the targeted networks via small bits of attacks.
  • The top attack vectors used for DDoS attacks include UDP attacks (75% of all DDoS attacks), DNS Amplification attacks (10.49%), and CLDAP Reflection attacks (5.27%). A majority of attacks were single-vector attacks (91.88%) while remaining were multi-vector attacks (8.12%).


Additional Insights

There were several additional insights highlighted in the report that corresponds with the recent attacks carried out by hackers.
  • The report suggests that Windows-power PCs contributed to about 85.42% of attack traffic. Recently, several devilish malware like Lucifer and MyKings were seen targeting victims by exploiting a bunch of Windows-based exploits.
  • Within the month of March, US servers were hit with more than 175,000 DDoS attacks, while South Korea stood at second spot with 74,000 attacks, followed by Brazil (51,000) and Britain (44,000).


Dynamically changing patterns

The reports suggest that several ISPs have been hit with small and ‘invisible killer’ attacks in Q1. On the contrary, in the recent few months, Akamai Technologies, Cloudflare, AWS have witnessed some of the most gigantic DDoS attacks of history, indicating that the attack dynamics are changing drastically.