Maze ransomware has been actively targeting its victims from across a variety of industries and geographical regions. Hitting victims with a combination of ransomware attack and data breach, Maze ransomware has been recently observed targeting big Thailand-based companies.
Thai companies: the new target
During 2017-2018, Thailand had the highest amount of users attacked with ransomware attacks with 9.57% of users encountering malware. Will history repeat itself?
- In July 2020, malicious attackers targeted Thai Beverage Public Company using Maze ransomware and advertised the attack on their data leak website on the dark web. Hackers have not made the stolen data public yet so it appears that the company is yet to accept or reject the ransom demand held out by the gang.
- In late-June 2020, attackers had used Maze ransomware to attack Thailand's Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA). Hackers had released three zipped files of stolen data (1.84GB, 4.4GB, and 2.26GB) on the dark web.
A long, long list of U.S. targets
After targeting Xerox Corporation last month, Maze has exclusively added a long list of USA clients to its data leak site.
- Maze ransomware targeted several real estate (Florsheim Homes, Bayley Construction, and Lee & Associates, LLC), manufacturing (Alpha Guardian, Walkers Shortbread, and U.S. Auto Parts Network, Inc), and transportation (Napa Transportation Inc) companies.
- It also targeted Cybersoft Technologies Corp (IT), Martin Appliance, Readerlink Distribution Services (Retail), Montana VA Health Care System (Healthcare), Eurofins Scientific (Food testing Lab), and Comhar Inc (NGO) in the USA.
Maze victims in other countries
Maze also added many other names to its list of targeted victims from across several countries and several sectors:
- Japan: Canon
- Australia: Strata (Management solutions provider)
- South Korea: LG Electronics
- UK: Information Connectivity Solutions Limited (Broadband solution provider)
- Egypt: Egypt Yellow Pages Online (Online business directory)
- Canada: Bazinet Taylor (Restaurant retail)
- Sri Lanka: Scienter Technologies (Pte) Ltd. (IT)
- Norway: Karmsund Maritime Offshore Supply AS
- India: National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)